We Are Stewards

The earth is the LORD'S and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it. Psalm 24:1


Being stewards means that we are like managers of the household. The word “steward” comes from an Olde English word that referred to the ward, i.e. the keeper, of the pig sty. The steward didn’t own the pigs but was a responsible farm hand with oversight of the entire hog farming operation. The extended farm family, including all the hired help, had enough to eat and a decent livelihood if the steward did his job well.

“Steward” translated from the Greek New Testament word oikonomous, literally means “manager of the household.” We are all stewards of God’s household, the divine reign over all creation which Jesus described as “the kingdom of God.” (Stewardship 2009-2012. Copyright © 2008 by Cokesbury.)

As stewards we manage God’s household, not ours. God, the Creator and owner of all that is, says, “Here, I’m giving you all that I have. Take care of it. Manage it. Be fruitful. Make good things happen.” That’s stewardship. Because everything belongs to God, it is vital that we listen to what God tells us to do. Our actions must align with God, so we are managing God’s household as God desires.

Therefore, we must each ask ourselves, what am I doing with all that God has entrusted to my care? How am I stewarding my time, my life? How am I managing my money and possessions, my generosity in giving? How am I being fruitful with my God-given gifts and abilities? How am I caring for God’s creation. And what changes do I need to make? What is God calling me to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church Under Water

Tearing Down the Old Church Building

Consecration on May 17