New Pastor of Salem Church

“To the church of God that is in Corinth [and Cedar Rapids!], to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” (I Corinthians 1:2-3 NRSV).

Brothers and Sisters, I am very excited to begin this new adventure as the pastor of Salem Church. Many have asked me how I am feeling about being appointed to Salem considering the flooding of 2008 that has wreaked havoc on us. After all, this is one of the 10 worst disasters in the nation's history. But what an opportunity to be the church, the people of God. We are not constrained by buildings. We the people of Salem Church are a royal priesthood. We exist to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. How are we part of God’s mission in transforming Cedar Rapids? Following Jesus may not be safe, but it is good.

I am looking forward to getting to know you soon. My wife, Joy, and I have three beautiful daughters: Kaitlyn is 13, Annie is 11, and Mara is 8. Joy and I met at Simpson College and married in 1992. I attended Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary before my first appointment as pastor to the Hudson UMC. I was then selected for the Beeson Pastor Program, a one-year doctoral fellowship in Biblical preaching and church leadership, at Asbury Theological Seminary. We moved to Des Moines in 2002 to begin planting a new church, Colony 320. After four years we merged with First Church in Des Moines where I served two more years as the associate pastor. Now, after fourteen years of pastoral experience, it is our privilege to join you on the journey in Cedar Rapids. Perhaps we come together now “for just such a time as this.”

I am often asked how I prefer to be addressed. Pastor? Reverend? Supreme Commander? You are welcome to call me John. Many people actually call me John Louk as though it is one name (like Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek: The Next Generation). Oh, and how old am I? I was born the same year humans first landed on the moon.

May the Lord God bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church Under Water

Tearing Down the Old Church Building

Consecration on May 17