I'm the One Having Surgery

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” - Jesus (John 14:27)

I have loved the name “Salem” since I arrived as pastor and learned more fully its meaning. It comes from the Hebrew word for peace, shalom. It means much more than an absence of conflict. Shalom means peace that includes wholeness, completeness, health, well-being, friendship, beauty, salvation. What a great name for a church! If we’re supposed to show the world what it means to be the world that God intended in Creation, then Salem is meant to show peace, wholeness, health, and salvation for us, our neighbors, our city, the world. When Jesus says he came that we might have abundant life, I think that’s what Jesus is talking about. As Jesus’ body in the world today, we are called to offer this peace, wholeness, completeness, health, well-being, joy, beauty, salvation to the whole world, beginning with those in our midst and those right around us. We want the people of Salem and the community around us, our city and the world to experience Salem shalom.

One of the wonderful things about being a part of Salem for the last five years is that I have experienced this Salem shalom myself. And now I have the opportunity to experience more. As a pastor I have prayed with you before a surgery or in hospital rooms. Now I am the one having surgery.

As I write this, I returned not long ago from an appointment with my cardiologist. I was born with an abnormal aortic valve in my heart. We didn’t know about this until I was sixteen. I have now been under the care of a cardiologist for twenty-eight years. Early on they told me I would probably have to have the valve replaced when I was in my mid-thirties. I left my mid-thirties about ten years ago. At the end of last year, my doctor said it’s time. I shared that with the congregation in January.

My appointment this morning confirmed that it is time to get the valve replaced. Physically, I’m doing very well. I’ve lost weight and my vitals and blood work are excellent, but my cardiologist says my heart is getting weary from all its extra work because of the bad valve. This will also be a much lower risk surgery before any problems exist.

So I'm trying to schedule the open heart surgery for just after Christmas. It takes four to six weeks for the initial recovery, so I could be back to work by the beginning of February. There is a slight chance I could hold the surgery off until next summer, but at this point we have to plan on the surgery just after Christmas.

I have heard from many of you and I am touched by your kindness and prayers. After caring for you as a pastor, the truth is I receive far more love and care from you than I could ever give. As a preacher I deal with words regularly. I do not, however, have the words to express fully how much I appreciate the love you have shown me and my family.

I have a good friend in ministry in Des Moines. At his church they pray regularly for healing, for Salem in people’s lives. They have witnessed amazing stories of healing, even miraculous curing by God. But they always teach that healing that comes from the hands of a doctor or surgeon is no less of a miracle. The healing I will receive from a surgeon putting a new valve in my heart is not a second rate healing. God uses persons in the medical field to bring healing to people.

I am not, of course, looking forward to having an open heart surgery. But I am looking forward to experiencing more Salem shalom, wholeness and health. And that’s what we want for all the people of Salem, our neighbors, and the entire Creation. And not just physical health. Mental and emotional and spiritual health. Financial health. Health and wholeness in relationships. Salem shalom, abundant life in every part of life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church Under Water

Tearing Down the Old Church Building

Consecration on May 17