I Am a Writer. There, That Was Easy!

This is my tenth year at Salem. So much has been accomplished since the flood of 2008 changed Salem’s course. It's encouraging sometimes to step back and reminisce.
Pastors have the privilege of requesting and planning a period of time for personal renewal and growth each year. Normally, that period is two weeks for each appointed year. Once every four years, however, the renewal is expanded to one full month. I previously received this renewal leave in 2008 before coming to Salem and then in 2013. I am overdue and proposed last fall that I take my renewal leave in early 2018. The Leadership Board and, subsequently, the District Superintendent approved this.
Therefore, I am currently on leave from January 15 through February 13. I will return to work on February 14, Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. 
During this time, I am writing about my own and Salem’s experience with the 2008 flood and rebuilding the church. In short, I'm writing about saying no.
When I went back to school for my doctoral work in 2001-2002, I was taught something that year that is simple yet profound. It has made a huge difference in my life. Probably in yours too.
I was taught to say no to good things in order to say yes to great things. There are choices that get in the way of what you're called to, what is most important, or what you want to accomplish. Good things. But if you don’t say no to them, you won't be able to say yes to that great thing.
The choices we make shape who we are. They form our lives. I'm writing about the choices I made and the choices the Salem congregation made. It's a good story.
The problem is this: the idea of writing is wonderfully easy. Actually writing is hard!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tearing Down the Old Church Building

Church Under Water

Consecration on May 17